Monday, October 25, 2010

Practical Matters -- Gift Bag Organizer

It's not like there's tons of discretionary storage space in an 
old house.  It's not like there's any at all, really.  
So, when it became blaringly obvious I needed to "condense" my gift wrapping supplies I went to town. 
 

I made a gift bag organizer for the inside of one of my closet doors.  It takes up very little space and it holds a boat load of stuff.  I crammed 46 bags in it with room for more.

 
I started by sorting my gift wrapping supplies, taking measurements and making a sketch.
Okay -- so I skipped the decorative rod and, well, the tassels were a no go as well, but it was  going in a closet, ladies, and 
I just couldn't make myself do it!  


 There's a pocket at the top edge for a wooden dowel and pockets for gift bags, tissue paper, tags and ribbon.  For roomier pockets, each is pleated at the corners. 


There's room for 7 rolls of ribbon.  Each pocket has a small gap in the stitching at the bottom edge to allow the ribbon 
to be pulled through it.  



I'd love to say my scissors are always hanging right here....


I know that's where I put 'em...

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

*To see the PARTIES I link to and to join in the fun,
CLICK HERE
or check out my sweet hostesses on my sidebar!

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*


Please *click here* and take a look around 
my Etsy Store...




If you enjoyed this post (and, gosh, I hope you did) please BECOME A FOLLOWER!

30 comments:

  1. Beautiful! So organized and tidy! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be that organized :) You're a talented seamstress too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's such a great idea! i have all my stuff in one big rubbermaid, but i hate having to go thru the whole thing. what a genius idea about your ribbon, too. unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool idea...shared on my fb fan page ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another clever idea from Lindy ~ but this one could probably be patented and sold! Put me down for two of them! ~Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super idea...it is great to make such wonderful use of what would otherwise be wasted space.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should sell this. If you do, please tell me. I will buy one.
    Looks great!
    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fabulous idea! One worth repeating (and copying). This would be perfect for my daughter's area where she has limited storage. Thanks for the idea/inspiration. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I often imagine what I could make or do for all of my ribbon that I have. I usually picture a heavy duty rod for all my rolls to be on...if only I had the space for it! I really like what you did for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are SO clever! What a great idea and a great final product! It's so funny that you mentioned about the scissors! When I first saw them hanging there, I thought, "Those wouldn't stay there for long in my house."!LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live in an old house too. Over the years, I have been forced to become very inventive when it comes to storage. This is a great way to use the back of a door! Looks cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All well organizated! Great proyect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very creative and organized project,I am in the process of settling some space as my work place, sure this idea will help me a lot...Thanks for sharing and for exact measurements too...
    I would love if you spare some time for me to peek on to my post at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic idea!I really need to get organized. I would love to try this.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great idea! I am envious you are so organized! I need to do this!~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to rock that. Makes me think of all the baby bags I still have a few of.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the ribbon pulls. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great! Excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks great and holds so much. I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday until Saturday and would love for you to join the party. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing.
    God's blessings,
    Sarah :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was hoping you'd link this, too. Another fantastic job--who would have thought of this?--oh, yeah, Lindy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw your project @ Trendy Treehouse so I came for a closer look - it's FABULOUS - you did a great job - wow you're organized!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is super super cute! even without the rod and tassel :) If you have time come link up @ Ladybug Blessings Handmade Tuesdays next week! www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea! I really need to condense my supplies! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is absolutely brilliant. I hope you've linked it everywhere! I would love to create one of these for myself, but unfortunately I don't think my fabric pieces would fit. Rats!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I so know what you mean about a lack of space in an old house, we had exactly TWO closets in the entire house! I LOVE this idea, sure wish I could sew!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so beautiful and useful. I would love to make one of these, but alas, I have something hanging on the back of every door in our apartment. Maybe I will make one for my mama.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I looove this. And I have got to make one because my gift bags are becoming a serious problem!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited you're leaving a comment. I can't wait to read it...L.